This is a bowl created by Bernard Leach. He was a British artist born in the last 19th century who became a very influential studio potter. His style was simple and utilitarian, preferring function over form. Writing the work A Potter's Book, Leach influenced North American potters to return to a more standard ware style of pottery instead of creating more abstract, aesthetic pieces. It is for these reasons that I really like the bowl pictured above. It is simple and functional, while still maintaining an elegant aura. Although the color of the glaze lends a more homey feel to it, the lines of the bowl elevate it above a standard work.
11/29 Blog - Deer Antler Pot
This week I chose to blog about this particular piece. It appears it was created using the wheel method and the artist cut different variations to create the design. This may be my favorite piece I have seen yet. I think the intrinsic design is unbelievable. I like how this work of art has a rustic feel to it. It almost appears as it was created with deer antlers. I feel that it appears different than the pieces we are normally see and that is what draws my attention to it.

Comments
Post a Comment