After reading the article by Shannon Garson, I discovered the image of this ceramic bowl. I believe this piece reflects many of the qualities of ceramic tableware that Garson stressed in her article. A factory tableware bowl would be equivalent in function to the piece above, but in my opinion the ceramic shown contains an authenticity of human craft that is not apparent in factory dishware. In particular, I find the unique hand crafted texture to add an aesthetic, but also authentic vibe to functionality that factory dishware doesn't seem to have.
Popular posts from this blog
Assassination of a Famous Nut Artist, 1971
Robert Arneson was definitely a very unique artist than most who wasn't afraid to expose the vulgarity and honesty of reality. In this sculpture, he voices his political views of being a "vehicle" for anger and pain. He once said, " I want to make high art that is funny, outrageous and also reveals the human condition, which is not always high.”
Coil Pots
Humans have been constructing ceramic pottery for over 10,000 years. There are various techniques to create pottery. Coil pots became prevalent in areas where agriculture was expanding. The coils are rolled out of clay, scored, slip is added and they are pinched together. The pots would store grains, crops and seeds for the next planting. These pieces can be distinctively different from one another due to the artist’s creativity.

Comments
Post a Comment