Maria Longworth Nichols Storer


Maria Longworth Nichols Storer was the founder of Rookwood Pottery of Cincinnati, Ohio. She is a patron of fine arts. Most of the paintings on her vases were inspired by her love for Japanese art.  This piece is the Earthenware crushed vase made in 1882. The painting on this vase is what brought me to it. I love how the base tones are very earthly colors. The branches are painted so perfectly while everything else is more of a smudged paint effect. This vase is very reflective of her using Japanese art as her inspiration. Lastly I find it interesting how the top isn't flat. While everything else on the vase is perfect and smooth the top has four points. I couldn't find the reasoning behind this but I like it because it just reminds you this is a handmade piece. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assassination of a Famous Nut Artist, 1971

Al Wei Wei

Terracotta Warriors