The piece shown above is one of Shoji Hamada's famous works. The one ceramic of his many works is a product of his distinctive style, as this single piece shares similar aspects of its look with the majority of his work. If I were to describe it myself, I would say that this piece is what I imagine many fine historic Japanese dining ware to look like. In my imagination, I can see it being utilized as a soup bowl in Japan. The compilation of Hamada's work put Mashiko, Japan on the map, as he only sourced local resources to produce his work. Hamada brought notoriety to the town and himself, as he was named a "Living National Treasure" by the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology in 1955. With each sculpture, Hamada also molded the world of art. His work is still auctioned today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assassination of a Famous Nut Artist, 1971

Al Wei Wei

Terracotta Warriors