Terracotta Warrior & Horses

It is fascinating to me that even amidst the creation of more than 6,000 soldiers, additional statues of horses and chariots, a pyramid, and storehouses and stables were created to expand the 20-square-mile compound.  Just as no two warrior statues are alike, it is evident in this photo that no two horses are alike.  The detail and craftsmanship that went into the creation of this army is unimaginable to me as I find myself struggling to make a simple box in college ceramics.  According to historians, an incredible 700,000 people worked tirelessly to complete this mausoleum over three decades.  I am glad that this compound was found and that it has been uncovered and restored as it reveals so much about the Qin Dynasty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assassination of a Famous Nut Artist, 1971

Al Wei Wei

Terracotta Warriors